About Me

My photo
I'm a Texan, born and raised. I love my God and my family (friends included as family!) My first novel was realeased December 23, 2014 and I've since finished writing my second manuscript and have begun my third. Being a successful writer has been a dream of mine for years, since I was little. I can't wait to see where God takes my first book and my future ones. I pray that it touches many hearts. For those of you who love suspense novels, good vs. evil, you may be interested!

Friday, December 5, 2014

New Member of The Family!!!



Well, a lot has happened within the past few weeks I haven't been able to blog. I've been pressing forward in school and finishing out the semester with strength of God to hold me up. Two jobs and school at the same time really take a toll on a person's body. I had to take off from Famous Dave's for a few weeks in order to get my Capstone Research paper done and ready for presentation on November 20th. All English majors have to present a researched, academic paper showing their knowledge of their major and I took The Murderer In My Family and expanded it, filling it with different research and how trauma not only effects the person undergoing cancer but to other family members as well. My focus revolved around that paper because it was a matter of passing or failing and, if I were to fail, I wouldn't graduate. But I passed!!! So I will be walking the stage December 12, 2014 at 3:00 pm to obtain my Bachelors of Art in English. I've made it! No more assignments due. My last day of class was Monday and so now all I will be going back for is my diploma! Praise God!

I've also been going through a trying time spiritually but am trusting God to pull me through, as He is always faithful to do. He is SO good to me.

So, my title of this post is what I'm now excited to present to you guys! About three weeks or so ago, I began looking for a dog so that when I move out I will have someone to keep me company when my cousin isn't at home due to being on call at work. I originally began seeking out a large dog and had actually taken a liking to Pit Bull Terriers. I've known two in my lifetime, both huge lovers and cuddle-bugs. Prior to my meeting them, I was afraid of this type of breed because of the bad rap they've been given for attacking people. I did some research on them to find out they are not all like that and their personality depends on how a person raises them. I searched up and down for a Pit Bull terrier in my area and couldn't find one. Not even one that I fell in love with or vice-versa. I went to a local shelter and took a look around on two different occasions. The first time I didn't really find a dog that blew my mind or that I fell in love with so I waited a couple weeks and went back to look. I found a small white poodle that was super sweet and enjoyed being held. I took a good interest in her but the shelter said she was on a seven day hold because her owner had passed away and they wanted to make sure relatives of the owner didn't want to take her home with them.

They told me to call back in seven days. A couple days later I decided to go check out our local humane society and I saw several that caught my eye and that I looked at but none made a connection with me. That day, our family went out of town for Thanksgiving. The 28th, Black Friday, marked the seventh day but I didn't call because I was out all day shopping. So I called the 29th to see if she was still there and, to my dismay, she'd been adopted THAT day. I'm glad she was adopted, but sad it wasn't me who adopted her. Even though I was a little down about it, I knew that God would bring me something better.

I prayed that God would bring me a dog that wasn't a puppy, wasn't destructive and hyper, one that only wanted to be cuddled and loved, one that didn't shed or didn't shed much, and one that wouldn't lick. I also thought it would be cute if the dog would make little grunting noises. I think it's so cute when they grunt sometimes. My grandparent's dog grunts when he's content and I love it.

On Monday, December 1, I went out to eat lunch with my family after my dad had a bone marrow biopsy. I asked my mom if she wanted to go look at dogs with me. I called the first shelter I'd gone to where I'd wanted to adopt the poodle but they didn't answer. I looked up their office hours and discovered they weren't open on Monday's. The second shelter crossed my mind and I almost didn't go but decided I should in case new dogs had been picked up, so I decided to go to the local human society again. As Mom and I walked outside looking at the different dog and puppies in cages, none of them really jumped out at me until I got to the cage F1. There were three small dogs about the same size but my eyes shot straight to this ADORABLE, PRECIOUS, ANGELIC little face that came trotting up to the gait whining for us to pet her. It's like a spot light was shining on her and in my heart I knew without even holding her or touching her that she was for me. It's like God was whispering, "This is the one, Brooke." She's a little terrier mix. I think she has Chihuahua in her. I wrote down the cage number and continued to look at others, with her still on my mind. I got to hold her first and I fell in love with her. I asked the worker at the shelter if there was any way to put her on hold and she said they could hold her for an hour so I told her to please do that while I looked at the other dogs on my list. None of the other dogs held a candle to the little terrier and so I told the lady that I wanted to adopt her.

I asked how I could ensure that no one would adopt her before me and she said I would have to go ahead and pay then, otherwise she could only be held for one hour then she's free game for anyone. So I slapped the money down and as they were putting a red ribbon around her neck to ID that she'd been adopted, two gentlemen walked in and said they were looking at her and had fallen in love with her. Had I been any later, I wouldn't have gotten her.

This precious little angel was EVERYTHING I prayed for. Everything. Complete with cute grunting noises. She was picked up the same day I decided to go look at the humane society and she was picked up RIGHT ACROSS THE STREET from the shelter! No collar, no tags. She had to stay at the shelter for five days in case someone called, frantic because they lost her. After five days, anyone adopting could take their babies home but a 30 day hold was required in case the owner still called. Should that happen even after adoption, whatever expenses were spent on the dog would have to be fully re-compensated to the adopter. However, as of two days ago, the 30 day hold was lifted and only the five day hold at the shelter was left as permanent. So, as of Thursday, December 4, 2014 at 7:00 pm, after their doors locked for the night, my baby was officially mine. No one had called to claim her. I went to see her every day as I waited in anticipation to pick her up and take her home. The more I saw her, the more my heart fell for her.

In just two days of visiting her, she knew who I was and, when other people would walk in, she would hide behind my legs under the chair then resurface once they left, wanting me to pet her and hold her. All she wants is lovin' and to snuggle. She eats, sleeps, and cuddles. That dog hasn't barked once. I'm amazed at how God worked it out so perfectly. His timing is SO perfect! And to top it all off, the last day she was on hold and could have been euthanized, a lady called, asking if she was still there because she was interested in adopting her and the shelter told her she'd been adopted by yours truly! So several people wanted her but I was BLESSED and got her just in the nick of time. And this falls according to my life verse, Romans 8:28- "And we know that all things work together for good to them that love God, to them that are the called according to His purpose." 

This has God's hand written all over it. She is a doll, a bright spot in my life already. I've named her Nellie and her nick names are Nellie-Bean, Nel-Nel, and Nellie Cuddle-Bug/ Snuggle-Bug.

Here are some pictures of my baby!
Nellie 











Christmas Jacket and Booties


   Her Collar for everyday

Her Christmas collar with tag


Her bed and blanky


Her Christmas collar and bed



I ordered her this exact tag and on the back will have her name and my number


Nellie is scheduled for her shots and spaying today. She's probably under the knife as I type. I get to go pick her up around 4 today. Poor thing will be very out of it and sore. I have her bed ready for her when I pick her up to take her home where she'll be loved the rest of her life. 

2 comments: