About Me

My photo
I'm a Texan, born and raised. I love my God and my family (friends included as family!) My first novel was realeased December 23, 2014 and I've since finished writing my second manuscript and have begun my third. Being a successful writer has been a dream of mine for years, since I was little. I can't wait to see where God takes my first book and my future ones. I pray that it touches many hearts. For those of you who love suspense novels, good vs. evil, you may be interested!

Friday, September 5, 2014

~In Beautiful Rememberance~

Written by Brooke-Lauren Montgomery

Her name is Mary Newland and she's my great grandmother. The beautiful young woman in the polka-dot dress, holding my great uncle and my grandmother, was one of the strongest women I've ever known. She was selfless, always willing to help with a happy heart, and loved everybody. 

I wish I could be half the woman she was and this is why:

At age nineteen, she accepted God's call in her life. I'll never forget what she told me while we sat at the counter in her house as we were having one of our many deep discussions. When God called her into the ministry, she said, "Oh, God, I'm not qualified to do Your work", to which He responded, "I don't call the qualified, but I qualify the called", and since that day, she lived to share Him with others. Anywhere and everywhere. At the grocery store, outside on the lawn, letters to inmates in prison when she was involved in the Prison Ministry, and always in her beauty shop. Mary's Beauty Shop opened when my grandmother was tiny. Maw Maw (what I called my great-grandmother), used her gift as a beautician to bring glory to God. 
 Below is a picture of Maw Maw with my biological great grandfather holding my grandmother.

Below is a photo of Maw Maw with my grandmother and my great uncle:
 
Many customers often called her with prayer requests or just to talk about a tough time they were going through, and she would listen wholeheartedly. She would pray while listening and wait for God to speak words of wisdom to her that she may give them. So many people would walk away with hope because God used her to speak to the hurting. My family was included in the hurting whom, God through her, helped tremendously.
Not only did God use her to speak for Him, but she was so close and intimate with God that He always answered her prayers. 
When my mother was a toddler, she'd gotten into my grandmother's purse and found some pills while my grandmother made a quick trip into a store. She took them and when my grandmother came back to the car, my mom just fell over in the seat. Panicked, she called 9-1-1 after finding the pills she'd gotten into. She then called Maw Maw who prayed and also road with my mom in the ambulance, praying out loud in her heavenly language, not caring who was listening or watching. She kept my mom awake by lightly slapping her face. Her prayers saved my mom's life and she recovered fully after the doctors pumped her stomach. I know that without Maw Maw's prayers, I never would have been born. 
Below is a picture of Paw Paw, my mom, and Maw Maw.

 Below is Paw Paw, Mom, Maw Maw, and Grandma.

This photo below is my grandmother, my mom (inside grandma's tummy), and Maw Maw.
 
When I was just two, I fell and hit my head on the corner of the coffee table then was promptly rushed to the emergency room. Maw Maw, who had been mopping the kitchen floor at that time with no idea what had happened, suddenly got the urge to call my grandmother to ask if I was okay. When she did, my grandmother told her what happened and Maw Maw prayed for me. I'm perfectly fine today but carry a scar as a reminder. :)  
Maw Maw also used to watch me sometimes at home while my mom taught school and my dad was at work. She'd also clean for us. Below is a picture of one of those days.
 Below is a picture of Maw Maw and me during one of our Christmas get togethers. I think this was in 2004. I was 13.

When my dad went into major depression from his mom's death (whole story available on my post The Murderer In My Family), after he'd finally had enough, Maw Maw and our family placed hands on him and prayed, and he got healed that night from depression. 
Below is a picture from a Christmas get together in 2004.

When I was undergoing an overwhelming, terrifying spiritual warfare battle of the mind as an adolescent, Maw Maw was just a phone call away, always more than happy to pray for me. Even at 2:00 in the morning when thoughts that were not my own plagued my mind and wouldn't let me sleep, she was there and, each time she prayed, the thoughts would subside and I would sleep. 
Not only did God help my family and many others through Maw Maw, but He also carried her through a difficult time in her life when her husband (my biological great-grandfather) had an affair that led to a divorce. He had been called to be a preacher but he did not do it. He went the other way but she remained close to God and He carried her through that time and many others.
There are many more instances such as these where God was evident and showed brightly through her.  

This photo is the one we used for her funeral booklet. She was just 39 years old here.


People could trust her with whatever they chose to confide in her. 

Maw Maw was always in The Word. She used her Bible so much it began to fall apart and she made many notes in the margins. 

Maw Maw always made the BEST food. It was definitely what you'd call a finger licking, home cooking, meal. Paw Paw (my non-biological great grandfather whom she married later), could also cook wonderfully, too! Most of the time they'd cook a meal together then invite the whole family over for lunch. Each time we'd arrive and walk into the kitchen, I'd see a big bowl of fried potatoes in the middle of the table and, of course, I'd proceed to grin like a doofus because Maw Maw knew I loved fried potatoes. She was always sure to make some just for me. With my sister...she always knew to sit out a tub full of butter because my sister used to have a sick fascination/taste for butter and would literally eat it off the spoon! Yeah! My parents had to carefully monitor her. :3 Anything Maw Maw knew one of liked, she'd have it ready when we came over.

Below is three generations. Maw Maw on the right, my mother in the middle, and grandmother on the left. They getting things ready for a family get together.

Growing up, my parents frequently told my sister and me to spend as much time with Maw Maw and Paw Paw as we could because they were getting older and wouldn't be around much longer. Well, as a kid, you can't understand that. I mean, when a child sees what appears to be a relatively healthy individual, they don't think that person will die soon. As I grew older, I began to understand that more. The more I grew in my faith, the more I longed to have deep talks with Maw Maw because God had filled her with soooo much wisdom. So many times when we'd be talking, she'd suddenly grow serious, squint her eyes, point her finger and say, "Listen to me carefully because Maw Maw knows what she's talking about..." then proceed to give an important message that God gave her at that moment for me. Then the conversation would turn back to normal. The passion, how on fire she was for God, just blew me away.

 Below is Paw Paw and Maw Maw


And ONLY my grandpa could get Maw Maw on a four wheeler! Lol.

In 2006, at the age of 81, Maw Maw had a stroke while having an operation on her shoulder. After that, she was never the same mentally. Her mind started slowly going down hill. We'd notice that she'd repeat something several times within a few minutes or she'd forget where she put something. I think at first we thought it was just her age showing but it turned out to be worse, a disease that completely breaks the hearts of all who see it progressing--Alzheimer's Disease. I know it was terrifying for Maw Maw, knowing something was wrong and feeling powerless to stop it as her memory kept slowly depleting. Eventually, she began to forget to clean the counter or the floor which was TOTALLY out of character for her. She was a germophobe! She'd call one of us by the wrong name or laugh and say things she never would have before. 

Four generations below, from left to right: My sister, me, Mom, Grandma, and Maw Maw in 2013.

As she worsened, my grandmother (her daughter) began to take care of her, staying over at their house. My non-biological great grandfather passed away in January 2011 and although Maw Maw expressed sorrow over his death, a couple weeks later, my grandfather asked her if she knew how long Lewis had been gone to which she answered, "Ten years". The thing about Alzheimer's is that it doesn't hurt the person who has it, but the loved ones who see it worsening. The Alzheimer's patient doesn't know any better once it gets to the last stages. 


About a year before Maw Maw passed, I was getting ready for something (I can't remember what now), but Maw Maw was sitting in the room with me while my mom went to go fix her some lunch. It was quiet between the two of us and I could see her staring at me out of the corner of my eye. By this time, Maw Maw didn't say much. And if she did, it didn't make sense or she'd say "yeah" to everything. So, when she spoke a completely understandable statement to me I was shocked. Not only shocked but what she said to me will remain with me to the day I die because it was the last coherent thing she said to me besides I love you before she passed. As I was running the straightener through my hair, she broke the silence and said, "You're beautiful." I turned and made eye contact with her and when I did, she said, "I've never seen one so beautiful." I couldn't believe it. My eyes grew teary and I thanked her. I don't think she knew how much that meant to me at that moment, especially when she hadn't really been saying things that made sense. It sounded so good to hear her sound normal and the fact that it was a complement on top of that, meant for me, made it that much more special.   

In April 2014, Maw Maw drastically took a turn for the worse, becoming bedridden and hardly eating at all. She eventually kept her eyes closed, appearing to sleep, but I'm sure it was just her body beginning to shut down. Our family knew it would be any time that she'd go Home. At one point, before she began to keep her eyes closed, my Mom was able to take a picture of her reaching out her hand as if praying or trying to touch something unseen. It was amazing.


In the week before she passed, I spent every day and night over there with her once I got off of work. 

Below: Maw Maw's hand in mine.



I would sit by her bed and read my Bible assignments aloud because I knew she could hear it. The night before she died, I brought my iPod dock and played Christian music. Before I played it, she'd been restless and coughing a lot. When I played it and sang a few songs for her, she quieted and rested more peacefully throughout the night. A couple times, she opened her eyes briefly before shutting them again. 

Friday, April 11, 2014 came quickly. I had decided on this day to go eat with a friend before going to the house to sit with Maw Maw. While we were eating, my mom texted me and told me to hurry because it would be soon. I was scared to death that I wouldn't be there to see her go. I was upset and praying God would let me make it before He took her. And He did. I got there approximately ten minutes before she drew her final breath and I was right there by her, holding her hand as she passed into Eternity. 


Although we cried for losing her, our tears also shone with joy because we knew her suffering was over and she was in her right mind again. She was present with The Lord and the happiest she ever was and ever would be.

My sister and I sang at her funeral. I will post the video later when I figure out how to download it on here. 

Maw Maw always told me that she was bottling up prayers for me and our family that would be answered in God's timing. And I believe her. 
 
Every once in a while, when I'm going through a difficult time, I'll think of Maw Maw and how much I miss picking up the phone to call her. Sometimes, I wouldn't even have to pick up the phone. She'd call me first, knowing something was bothering me. I miss it. I miss dearly. But I know that I'll see her soon and that she'll be waiting with a humungous smile on her beautiful face, ready to embrace me when I join her.


 

 

   
 

    

No comments:

Post a Comment