About Me

My photo
I'm a Texan, born and raised. I love my God and my family (friends included as family!) My first novel was realeased December 23, 2014 and I've since finished writing my second manuscript and have begun my third. Being a successful writer has been a dream of mine for years, since I was little. I can't wait to see where God takes my first book and my future ones. I pray that it touches many hearts. For those of you who love suspense novels, good vs. evil, you may be interested!

Thursday, September 11, 2014

We Will Never Forget




written by Brooke-Lauren Montgomery

September 11, 2001--a beautiful sunny morning for such a horrendous tragedy. On the morning of 9/11, I was sitting in my 5th grade English class listening to my teacher when, all of a sudden, another teacher from down the hall swiftly entered our classroom. He interrupted our lesson by whispering something into our teacher's ear. When she gasped, the whole class said, "What? What's the matter?" 

When the other teacher left, ours looked at us with a solemn face and said, "A plane flew into the World Trade Center." 

Several people in the classroom gasped. But I didn't because I didn't even know what the World Trade Center was. I was only 9 and I didn't know to be afraid. I didn't know what a terrorist was, either, until I got home after school and saw a replay of the tragic events and my mom explained it to me.

I knew throughout the day something wasn't right, that this was a HUGE deal. People seemed quiet and morose. When my mom picked me up from school, she seemed panicked. She kept saying, "We've got to go get gas. We've got to go get gas." And I'm still thinking, why?? 

And I asked her why. She said something about terrorists and I still didn't get it. Couldn't comprehend. But she was freaking me out because she was frantic. 

The gas station was packed. Everyone else had the same idea. People were scared. 


When I got home, my dad had it on Fox News where replays of that morning were showing. Seeing planes fly into two tall buildings was scary. And even though it was, I still couldn't wrap my mind around just how tremendous of a tragedy it was for America. When I was 9, I didn't fear. 

It wasn't until I became an adolescent that I began to understand the major impact 9/11 had on America and just how terrifying that day was for Americans. Those poor families who lost loved ones in the planes, the World Trade Center, and the Pentagon, firemen who lost their lives in the line of duty. It's terribly sad. 

As I got a little older, I watched a show about 9/11 with dramatizations with the actual recordings of those who lost their lives in the attack. Betty Ong, a stewardess on flight 11, stayed on the phone with air control, letting them know what was going on. She sounded so calm. She remained on the line up until the plane struck one of the towers.
I saw photos of people in Manhattan running for their lives as the thick clouds of gray ashes and debris chased them. People who knew they didn't want to be burned alive were jumping from the towers, deciding it would be better to fall to their death than sear in flames.
I heard a couple of recordings of passengers who called their family to tell them they loved them one last time. One man was so distraught and in shock he introduced himself to his own family on the answering machine before telling them goodbye and he loved them. 

America needs our prayers more than ever. Please keep the families of lost loved ones in the attack in your thoughts and prayers today. Pray for our nation, that we may continue to keep strict surveillance on all areas where terrorism may be a threat.  

When I see these reminders every year of what those terrorist bastards did to our nation, I fume with anger. My heart frowns and it cries for those who had their lives stripped from them with such brutality. My chest grows heavy with the weight of sadness for the relatives of lost loved ones. 

And now, thirteen years later, America still remembers. 
She'll never forget. 

And neither will I.


No comments:

Post a Comment