About Me

My photo
I'm a Texan, born and raised. I love my God and my family (friends included as family!) My first novel was realeased December 23, 2014 and I've since finished writing my second manuscript and have begun my third. Being a successful writer has been a dream of mine for years, since I was little. I can't wait to see where God takes my first book and my future ones. I pray that it touches many hearts. For those of you who love suspense novels, good vs. evil, you may be interested!

Tuesday, July 23, 2013

The Conjuring Review

Written by Brooke-Lauren Montgomery



Well, guys, I went to see The Conjuring last night with my sister, her boyfriend, and my cousin. I'm a suspense/scary movie fan, so, I was excited about seeing it. However, I would be lying if I said I wasn't nervous about it. I'm not one to get nervous about seeing a scary movie, but I was on this one. I kept hearing different things, such as, "Oh, there was one theatre that had a priest come and bless people and offer prayer if they needed it!" That freaked me out a bit, because, I'm thinking, it's THAT bad??

First off, to me, it wasn't too bad. Was it scary? Dang straight! If you are into paranormal movies, this one is the best one made, in my opinion. The graphics/makeup was amazing, and the acting was terrific and compelling. Those two combined, it made the movie thrilling. I didn't need a priest, thank God, after walking out of the theatre, and neither did my sister, her bf, and cousin.

Second, if you do not like paranormal stuff (obviously, which goes without saying), or maybe you do, but as long as it isn't "over the top", DON'T go see the movie.

Third, I found it very interesting that the writers of the script are two brothers who are Christians. To read about it click the link:  http://www.theblaze.com/stories/2013/07/16/is-the-new-hollywood-movie-the-conjuring-about-a-demonic-possession-really-based-on-true-events-the-surprising-answer/ 
It's a great article!

Fourth, I loved the ending. I loved it, because, being a Christian, I enjoy movies that end with Good prevailing and evil losing. And in The Conjuring, evil loses. So, I still got the scare while watching the film, but didn't leave the theatre feeling down hearted. God prevailed!

Fifth, as far as the priest coming to the theatre, I don't know if that is true. I read about it, and I can't decide if it's a publicity/marketing tool used to promote the film, or what. I'll provide the link to that, and y'all can decide for yourselves: http://www.dreadcentral.com/news/68210/chicago-screening-conjuring-comes-complete-priest-and-warning 

Sixth, I will admit that a couple of strange things happened to my sister, cousin, and I after we got home from the movie. In The Conjuring, the paranormal activity always began at 3:07 a.m. Well, when I woke up this morning, I saw a text from my sister that she sent at 3:10 a.m. that said, "I was about to go to sleep and im exhausted and I noticed it was almost 3:07 and I started to plug my fone in and my TV shut off. So I didn't panic and I sat back down on the bed and in a bit the TV turned back on and I looked at my phone and it said 3:08".
There are, however, possible "rational" explanations for those who believe demonic/paranormal stuff is a bunch of malarkey. But, I believe it wasn't coincidental.
Rational explanation:
Her tv shorted out like it has before. It just so happened to conveniently be at 3:07 a.m.

As for me, when I got into bed and was laying there, I heard a rustling noise beside my bed. I have some drafts of my manuscript down there and I assumed it was that. I peeked over the side of the bed, but I didn't see anything. Then, this morning when I went into the bathroom to get ready for work, the cabinet door squeaked open by itself. I can think of two rational explanations for mine:
The papers may have rattled due to the fan being on.
Still half asleep, I possibly could have bumped the cabinet with the bathroom door and didn't realize it. I just knew I didn't touch it.

As for my cousin, he texted me this: "Well, mine was this morning about 7:07 i woke up like when you fall off of something like all quick and jumpy. And heard a big bang. And so i listend for a couple more seconds and it got quiet so i laid down to try to calm down. And then you know the bars over here on the windows. It sounded like someone was trying to get in the bars like rattling them and trying to rip them off!"
Rational explanation: Could have been the wind. In the part of Texas I live in, we have high winds here.

I don't know one hundred percent if it was paranormal or not, but nonetheless, it was freaky to us. However, we're still alive and kicking.

One last thing. Demons and things are real. That's what makes this movie so scary. It could really happen. My friend has witnessed a girl who was her roommate take on demonic/possessed behavior. She doesn't want to say she was possessed, but from what happened and how she was acting, it looked that way.
Also, one time when our family was going through a difficult time, my dad who is a strong believer, hung a necklace with a cross in his bathroom from one of the light fixtures above the mirror. One evening, my mother, who also is an avid believer, came into my room asking me if I pulled Dad's necklace down in his bathroom. Of course I didn't. She asked my sister and she didn't. My mom didn't do it, and my dad didn't do it. The freaky part about it...there were smears on the mirror from where someone or something yanked down the necklace and swiped their hand across it. The necklace wasn't gently undone and laying on the counter. It had been ripped down and broken.
I have other personal stories of these kinds of true incidences but it would take forever to write.

Bottom line: The movie was a great movie. It was scary, on the edge of your seat thrilling. The outcome was good. I'd give it a five star out of five. BUT, I would advise praying before seeing it. To be honest, I don't think that Christians should see it. Yes, I know, I did, and I shouldn't have. But my seek for thrill and scare got me.

Also, the film wasn't as scary as I thought it was going to be. I was expecting it to be way worse than it was.
However, I repeat, if you don't like extra freaky movies, this isn't for you.

If you've seen it, I'd love to hear your opinions and intakes!

Have a blessed day!

No comments:

Post a Comment